A fritter is any kind of food coated in batter and deep fried. Make it a fun cooking day and make your favorite fritter – apple, banana, potato, corn, yam, sweet potato, zucchini! An apple fritter recipe is below, but you can look at allrecipes.com for other recipes. Be sure to check out the book ‘Pass the Fritters, Critters’ for a cute story on manners.
Pass the Fritters, Critters
by Cheryl Chapman – Hungry animals passing food during a meal learn that “please” is a magic word.
Making Apple Fritters
- 1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup cinnamon sugar
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or electric skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the milk, eggs and oil and stir until well blended. Mix in apples until they are evenly distributed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes depending on the size. Fry in smaller batches so they are not crowded. Remove from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels. Toss with cinnamon sugar while still warm.