Fun things to do in January:
- Go ice skating
- Play in the snow
- Skiing / Sledding
- Make treats for winter animals (5-National Bird Day, 21-Squirrel Appreciation Day)
- Make a King Cake for the Epiphany (6 – Feast of the Epiphany)
- Buy a new houseplant that the kids can take care of (10-Houseplant Appreciation Day)
- Write thank you notes for holiday gifts (11-Thank You Day, 23-Handwriting Day)
- Try a Pastrami Sandwich (14-National Pastrami Sandwich Day)
- Make a chocolate cake (27-Chocolate Cake Day)
- Do something that refreshes and renews your soul! (Daily share topic – renewal / refreshing things)
The Month of January:
- Calendar – January is the first month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars and the first month to have the length of 31 days. The first day of the month is known as New Year’s Day. January (in Latin, Ianuarius) is named after the Latin word for door (ianua), since January is the door to the year and an opening to new beginnings. The month is conventionally thought of as being named after Janus, the god of beginnings and transitions in Roman mythology.
- Season – It is, on average, the coldest month of the year within most of the Northern Hemisphere (where it is the second month of winter) and the warmest month of the year within most of the Southern Hemisphere (where it is the second month of summer). In the Southern hemisphere, January is the seasonal equivalent of July in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa.
- Moon – The Full Moon in January is the Wolf Moon named after howling wolves, which may stem from the Anglo-Saxon lunar calendar. Other names: Moon After Yule, Old Moon, Ice Moon, and Snow Moon.
- Birthstone – January’s birthstone is the garnet, which represents constancy.
- Flowers – Its birth flower is the cottage pink Dianthus caryophyllus or galanthus.
- Zodiac – Capricorn (until January 19) and Aquarius (January 20 onwards).
January Days For Kids:
1 – New Year’s Day – Make resolutions & goals
2 – Science Fiction
3 – Festival of Sleep Day
4 – Isaac Newton Day
4 – Trivia Day
5 – National Bird Day
6 – Feast of the Epiphany
7 – Old Rock Day
8 – Bubble Bath Day
10 – Plant Appreciation Day
11 – Thank You Day
12 – National Pharmacist Day
13 – Make Your Dreams Come True
14 – National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
21 – Squirrel Appreciation Day
23 – Handwriting Day
25 – Opposite Day
27 – Chocolate Cake Day
31 – Backward Day