On this day in 1980, the long dormant Mount St. Helen’s erupted. It measured 5.1 on the Richter scale, and within moments, completely changed the landscape of the mountain forest.
Enjoy this day by learning about volcanos, making your own volcano, then having volcano spaghetti!
Make a Volcano
This is a super easy way to make a volcano with your little ones! And the nice thing is, you probably have most of these materials in your house.
What You’ll Need:
- Small empty bottle or container
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
- Red food coloring (optional)
How To Make:
1. Place the empty bottle in a pan.
2. Wrap the play-doh around the bottle to make the volcano.
3. Scoop some baking soda into the bottle – about 2 T.
4. Add red food coloring to the vinegar to make it look like lava. Then, when everyone is ready, pour the vinegar into the bottle.